Me

Me
taken 28/10/10

Sunday 15 August 2010

Fear of Ghosts (FS10)


Reminiscing the past on days like today is part of the grieving process, I guess, but I will never get used to the fact that she is never going to be there for me to tell her "Happy Mother's Day". She has not even got a plaque on her tomb...

Are we all bound to be forgotten so fast?

Such small epiphanies only strenghten my existentialist vision of the world.I wish I could let go of this, but I cannot until you say something. Please say something.

Todays's featured song is

The Cure- Fear of Ghosts

Background Info:

The Cure is an English rock band formed in Crawley, West Sussex in 1976. The band has experienced several line-up changes, with frontman, vocalist, guitarist and principal songwriter Robert Smith being the only constant member. The Cure first began releasing music in the late 1970s with their debut album Three Imaginary Boys (1979); this, along with several early singles, placed the band as part of the post-punk and New Wave movements that had sprung up in the wake of the punk rock revolution in the United Kingdom. During the early 1980s, the band's increasingly dark and tormented music helped form the gothic rock genre.

Lyrics:

Like a feeling that I'm down
Deep inside my heart
Like I'm looking out through
Splitting blood red
Windows in my heart
From a higher up than heaven
And a harder down than stone
Shake the fear that always clawing
Pulls me clawing down alone
As I spitting splitting blood red
Breaking windows in my heart
And the past is taunting
Fear of ghosts
Is forcing me apart
And the further I get
From the things that I care about
The less I care about
How much further away I get...

I am lost again

With everything gone
And more alone
Than I have ever been
I expect you to understand
To feel it too
But I know that even if you will
You cannot ever help me
Nor can I
Ever help you

My Interpretation:


Robert Smith has the exceptional ability of making his lyrics as literall or as symbollic as he wants, and in this case, they are rather literall. For me, the song tells the heartbreaking story of a person who is not quite all there anymore, and he feels himself slipping away, further and further with every sleepless night, with his memories haunting him as ghosts. He is destroyed, lonely and lost beyond any possible salvation
"And the further I get/From the things that I care about/The less I care about/How much further away I get..." Precisely the vicious circle I seem to have fallen into.

Video:



Comments or anything else you wish to say...

XoXo.


No comments:

Post a Comment