Me

Me
taken 28/10/10

Thursday 5 August 2010

In the Arms of Sleep(FS4)


Fine.I'll just do what you do. I'll just pretend that nothing happened. That I didn't have that stupid idea. That I didn't slice my palm open last night, and counted the clock tickings until I reached 10520 seconds. Like I do not feel this way for you.

Which brings me exactly to a song that describes, word for word, how IS it I feel about you.

Smashing Pumpkins-In the Arms of Sleep

Background Info:

The Smashing Pumpkins is an American alternative rock band that formed in Chicago, Illinois in 1988. Formed by Billy Corgan (vocals, guitar) and James Iha (guitar, backing vocals), the band has included D'arcy Wretzky (bass guitar, backing vocals), Jimmy Chamberlin (drums, percussion), and Melissa Auf der Maur (bass guitar) amongst its membership.

Disavowing the punk rock roots shared by many of their alt-rock contemporaries, the Pumpkins have a diverse, densely layered, and guitar-heavy sound, containing elements of gothic rock, heavy metal, dream pop, psychedelic rock, arena rock, shoegazer-style production and, in later recordings, electronica. Frontman Billy Corgan is the group's primary songwriter—his grand musical ambitions and cathartic lyrics have shaped the band's albums and songs, which have been described as "anguished, bruised reports from Billy Corgan's nightmare-land".


Lyrics:

Sleep will not come to this tired body now
Peace will not come to this lonely heart
There are some things I'll live without
But I want you to know that I need you right now
I need you tonite
I steal a kiss from her sleeping shadow moves
Cause I'll always miss her wherever she goes
And I'll always need her more than she could ever need me
I need someone to ease my mind
But sometimes a someone is so hard to find
And I'll do anything to keep her here tonite
And I'll say anything to make her feel alright
And I'll be anything to keep her here tonite
Cause I want you to stay, with me
I need you tonite
She comes to me like an angel out of time
As I play the part of a saint on my knees
There are some things I'll live without
But I want you to know that I need you right now
Suffer my desire
Suffer my desire
Suffer my desire for you

My Interpretation:

Yet again, another song about unrequited love and the deep feeling of loneliness it brings. There are some things I could live without...air, for one...sleep..but you? never. Sadly, she could never need him more than he does, adn he would do anything, say anything, be anyone to please her, to make her stay, to make her love him, and there is just no way. Sounds dreadfully familiar, the lyrics are self-explanatory. He cannot sleep because all he does is think about her when he's awake and dream about her when he's asleep. Or 2her" could also be refered as a metaphored for Sleep itself. Which would aslo fit with me.
I'll stop here before I break down again. Billy Corgan is an amzing writer. Almost too good for my own sake.

Video:



Leave your own interpretation if the comments if you want, you know I'd love to read them.

XoXo

No comments:

Post a Comment